Victory Elementary School

Constructed: 1943 Demolished: 1989 In 1943, the federal government established Victory Elementary School. The school’s story reflects the changing racial demographics on the industrial peninsula during the twentieth century. Originally, Victory Elementary was...

read more

Curtis Bay Recreation Center

Constructed: 01/01/1950 Curtis Bay Recreation Center, 1970. The Curtis Bay Recreation Center was built in 1950. The building began as just a shell—a recreation center on the outside but completely bare on the inside. The local Community Service Club rallied every...

read more

Club 4100

Constructed: 1958 [soundcloud id='53868710'] ABOVE: Recording of Horton McCormick and his wife discussing Club 4100. With Sinatra on the jukebox and Unitas on the walls, it's always 1958 here. Seniors sit in the same booths under the same sepia-toned Baltimore Colts...

read more

Polish Home Hall

Constructed: 01/01/1905  The building was built circa 1905 in the vernacular Beaux Arts style and originally functioned as a town hall and home to the volunteer fire company of Curtis Bay. In 1919 when the area was annexed into Baltimore, the Wise brothers used the...

read more

Pete’s Place

Pete’s Place was an African American owned restaurant and with a jukebox in the heart of Fairfield.  It was a spot where the community gathered to socialize, dance, and enjoy one another’s company.  When there wasn’t an event at local churches, a ball game, or street...

read more

Banneker Home

Constructed: 10/11/1943 Demolished: 01/01/1950 In 1943, the government built housing for African Americans on the peninsula. The Banneker Homes were names for Benjamin Banneker, an accomplished astronomer and city planner, born in Maryland in 1791. The Banneker Homes...

read more

St. Adalbert’s Catholic Church

Constructed: 11/01/1907 Demolished: 9/2/1967 St. Adalbert’s Catholic Church was dedicated in November of 1907. Upon his death in 1903, Martin Wagner left his community of workers $10,000 to build a church. The Polish community of Wagner’s Point raised the remaining...

read more